Looking for a new challenge?
On behalf of our client, an ultra luxury resort in Fiji. We are looking for a Executive Sous Chef.
Complete responsibility for directing training, supervising, planning, coordinating, of all areas within the culinary department including any projects requested by the Executive Chef of the Resort; ensuring a quality product for our guests, and secure profit margins while maintaining the Corporate image of the Company Mission and Vision.
- Ensures consistency and highest quality in the taste, presentation and appropriate food temperature for food served in all kitchens, including staff restaurants
- Be in control of an operation of 40 staff and give full support to the Executive Chef
- Support all operations of all 5 Guest restaurant and bars, and 3 staff restaurants
- Ensures the quality and cleanliness to the minimum standards.
- Ensures maximum creativity to be achieved and shared with the local colleagues.
- Interacts with guests in a personal manner and creates special dining experiences.
- Responsible for ensuring smooth and effective communication among the staff
- Ensures that staffs are fully aware and complies with the international HACCP and LHW guidelines, has full appreciation and respect for the cleaning standards.
- Focus on using biological and local ingredients. Help build specials relationships with the local fisherman and farmers
- Develops and implements new menus and dishes. A maximum of creativity and hand on work attitude is required
- Works closely with the farm and hydroponic managers to ensure all necessary products will be available all time and planting schedules established and carried out
- Conducts regular tour of the front and back of house to check that all equipment is in working order and standards are adhered to.
- Liaises and works closely with the Chief Steward in monitoring and ensuring that all cleaning is properly done and according to schedule and Executive Chefs standards
- Maintains proper and adequate controls over purchase orders and requisitions
- Monitors on monthly food inventory turnover and slow moving items
- Ensures that purchasing, receiving and all storage are efficiently handled and that the goods purchased conform to the resort’s specification
- Reviews food cost analysis on a daily basis to maintain in line with budget and forecast
- Ensures progressive training for on the job skills and technical job knowledge, the passion for training the local chefs is the upmost importance of the company’s expectations.
- To be humble and understanding of the isolation. This is an island resort so a different lifestyle to what the normal is. Must be open to adapt to this different environment setting
Education, Experience and Personal Attributes:
- The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor's degree or related culinary degree with 3 or more years of industry and culinary management experience.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in similar role in a high-end resort environment, boutique resort experience is a plus, as well as work and live experience in remote environment / islands is always a good skillset to already have obtained
- A high level of creativity and passion for food with experience in various world cuisines preferred
- Strong passion for training. It is all about the growth of the local chefs here.
- The ability to manage in a diverse environment with focus on client and customer services is essential to success in this role.
- Previous experience with controlling food and labor cost, demonstration cooking, menu development, and pricing and development of culinary team is a must